Event: The 2020 elections in Niger are scheduled for December 13 and 27.
U.S. citizens in Niger should heighten awareness and caution during the election period. There is an increased possibility of protests, marches, or rallies related to political activities occurring in Niamey and throughout Niger. These types of activities may increase the risk of violence, civil crime, and COVID-19 transmission. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and crowds and take proper precautions against the spread of COVID-19.
Sunday, December 13, 2020: Local and Regional Elections
Sunday, December 27, 2020: Legislative & First Round Presidential Elections
Sunday, February 21, 2021: Presidential Election Second Round, if needed
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.