Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
Location: Downtown Niamey
Event: Due to security presence and recent/ongoing demonstrations, the U.S. Embassy continues to urge U.S. citizens in Niamey to minimize unnecessary movements until further notice. A government-imposed curfew is expected to be in place tonight beginning at 2200 and lasting until 0530 tomorrow morning.
The U.S. Embassy has received reports the borders and airport are currently closed and commercial flights to and from Niamey will reportedly be suspended until August 5, 2023.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area by the Presidential Palace.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Avoid crowds.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Niger visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.