Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Niamey (November 12, 2021)
Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: A protest is planned for Friday, November 12, 2021. It will be led by an assembly of civil society groups concerned by poor school construction practices that render school buildings unduly vulnerable to fire. The groups also plan to underscore the need for greater security throughout the country. As of now, the protest is to center on the National Assembly, but this may change. There may also be a corresponding increase in police presence on major routes throughout town.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as demonstrations can become violent. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it. Leave the area and use an alternate route.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that extremist groups aspire to target Westerners in Niamey and elsewhere. We continue to urge to be cognizant of your surroundings and exercise caution when in public.
Vary your travel routes and times, so as to not be pattern-predictable. Public venues should not be visited on a “clockwork” basis, but rather should be transited via a selection of travel routes and times that do not allow for the prediction of your presence at a particular venue or route of travel.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe here.