Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: A public march is planned for Sunday, January 30, 2022 at 08:30am. The Tournons La Page (TLP) movement obtained authorization to conduct their scheduled march. The assembly will take place at the Place Toumo and proceed to the National Assembly. It may proceed afterward to the National Assembly Building, but this destination may change, and other areas of the city may become march sites, as well. There will be a corresponding increase in police presence and traffic delays on major routes throughout town. Please exercise caution and plan alternate routes.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as demonstrations can become violent. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it. Leave the area and use an alternate route.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.