Event: A proposed, unauthorized political demonstration may occur on March 20. It may commence at 8:00 A.M. with an unknown end time. All are advised to avoid commercial areas and public routes throughout Niamey. March participants may assemble near a large traffic circle adjacent to the airport on the Boulevard du 15 Avril, and then proceed through the city center to the protest destination of the National Assembly, which is just 200m from the flagship Amandine restaurant and the Score grocery store. While this is the proposed route, large demonstrations can be unpredictable, so, it is advised that Embassy personnel and U.S. citizens avoid travel to areas outside of Koura Kano for the duration of the protest. In particular, the Goudel and Koubia areas, in which violent and destructive protests were recently staged, should be avoided throughout the weekend.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as demonstrations can become violent. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it. Leave the area and use an alternate route.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe here.