(February 8, 2020)
Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: Starting tomorrow February 9th, and continuing until February 16th, there will be planned student demonstrations throughout Niamey. Most of these annual demonstrations will commence at the University of Niamey and ending at Yantala Cemetery. There may be a corresponding increase in police presence and traffic delays on major routes throughout town. Please exercise caution and plan alternate routes.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as demonstrations can become violent. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it. Leave the area and use an alternate route.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- +227 20 72 26 61
- +227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.