Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: A student demonstration is scheduled for Sunday, February 9, 2020 starting at Abdou Moumouni University and crossing the Kennedy Bridge to the Place des Martyrs.
A second demonstration is scheduled for Sunday, February 16, 2020 starting at Abdou Moumouni University and crossing the Kennedy Bridge to Yantala Cemetery.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as demonstrations can occur suddenly anywhere throughout the city. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it. Leave the area and plan an alternate route.
The Embassy continues to strongly advise limiting unnecessary movements during the hours of darkness or travel outside the Niamey péage (toll checkpoint). The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter