Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: There are reports of possible protests throughout the city of Niamey over the next several days as a consequence of the announcement of a permissible candidates’ list for the upcoming presidential election. Also, there may be a corresponding increase in police presence and traffic delays on major roads in Niamey. Please exercise caution and plan alternate routes as appropriate.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as any demonstration in Niger could become violent and these can occur suddenly throughout the city. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it; leave the area and evacuate to a safe location.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.