Event: On March 17, the Government of Niger announced the closure of its international airports in Niamey and Zinder for 2 weeks, starting on March 19, 2020 at midnight to limit the potential spread of COVID-19. Exemptions will be made for domestic, cargo, air ambulance, and military flights. All land borders will also be closed for a period of 2 weeks. The text of President Issoufou’s speech to the nation on the evening of March 17 can be found here in French.
President Issoufou also declared:
- Niger has cancelled all schools starting March 20 at midnight for two weeks.
- All gatherings of 50 people, including baptisms, ceremonies, workshops and seminars, are cancelled for two weeks.
- Restaurants, markets, stores, and public and private services must institute obligatory hygiene measures.
- People must respect a distance of at least one meter between people in open spaces, restaurants, business, airports, and public places.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Routine visa appointments have been cancelled until further notice. However, emergency appointments and routine American Citizens Services remain available at the U.S. Embassy in Niger.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Niger.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
BP 11201, Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.