Location: Niger (countrywide)
Event: On March 24, the Nigerien Ministry of Public Health announced seven confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Niger. Ambassador Whitaker has issued a video message to U.S. citizens in Niger. The video may be viewed here.
The U.S. Department of State has issued a Global 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. U.S. citizens are advised that both routine medical evacuation (medevac) and medically-supported transport (air ambulance) are constrained because of the extreme limitations on air traffic, limitations on entry of patients to countries for medical care, and unexpected delays and logistical challenges. While commercial international flights from Niger remain cancelled, popular regional transit hubs such as Istanbul are no longer accepting passengers from Niger.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.