Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Niger (March 27, 2020)
Location: Niger (countrywide)
Event: On March 26, the Nigerien Ministry of Public Health has confirmed 10 cases of COVID-19 in Niger.
The government of Niger has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. The Diori Hamani International Airport in Niamey and Zinder Airport were closed to all passenger flights on March 20. Exemptions are made for domestic, cargo, air ambulance, and military flights. All land borders are also closed. President Issoufou also declared the cancellation of all schools beginning March 20 for at least two weeks and gatherings of 50 people or more, including religious events, workshops, and seminars. Furthermore, restaurants, markets, stores, and public and private services must institute obligatory hygiene measures. People must respect a distance of at least one meter between people in open spaces, restaurants, businesses, airports, and public places.
The U.S. Department of State has issued a Global 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. U.S. citizens are advised that both routine medical evacuation (medevac) and medically-supported transport (air ambulance) are constrained because of the extreme limitations on air traffic, limitations on entry of patients to countries for medical care, and unexpected delays and logistical challenges. While commercial international flights from Niger remain cancelled, popular regional transit hubs such as Istanbul and Addis Ababa are no longer accepting passengers from Niger.
Actions to Take:
• Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
• For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
• Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
• Visit our Embassy web page on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Niger.
• Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
• State Department – Consular Affairs
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
• Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.