Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide. As of March 12, 2020, there are no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Niger.
The government of Niger has implemented enhanced medical information screening and self-quarantine measures to limit any spread of COVID-19 to Niger. Travelers to Niger should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
According to Niger’s Ministry of Health, travelers are advised to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days in Niger if they are entering the country from countries affected by COVID-19. Travelers are also required to complete an epidemiological surveillance form at international airports.
Additionally, President Trump’s proclamation issued on March 11, 2020 to restrict entry to the U.S. for travelers who have been in the Schengen area during the 14 days prior to their intended travel to the United States does not apply to U.S. citizens. The proclamation could be found here.
Actions to Take:
- Review travel plans carefully and prepare to abide by Niger’s self-quarantine policy upon arrival or re-entry into Niger.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Niger.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.