An official website of the United States government

Passports for Minors

Minors under the age of 18 must use form DS-11 to apply for passports. They are not able to renew passports using form DS-82.

In addition to your completed form you will need:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship such as one of the following (only originals or certified copies are acceptable)
    • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (current or expired);
    • Birth certificate that
      • Is issued by the city, county, or state of birth;
      • Lists applicant’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth;
      • Lists parents’ full names;
      • Has the signature of the city, county, or state registrar;
      • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth);
      • Has the seal of issuing authority;
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
    • Certificate of Naturalization; or
    • Certificate of Citizenship.
  • Photo (click here for more detailed photo requirements),
  • The fee. We are only able to accept cash payments. You can get comprehensive information on passport fees at the State Department passport site.

Passport applications for U.S. citizen minors under the age of 16 have additional requirements. Details of these requirements can be found here. These requirements include:

  • Personal appearance of child: The child must appear personally with their parents to establish identity, proof of citizenship and proof of relationship.
  • Show proof of parental relationship with a birth certificate, adoption decree, or other documents.
  • Proof of identification of both parents. Acceptable forms of ID are listed here.
  • Permission from both parents. For parental application permission:
    • both parents must appear together and sign the application, or
    • one parent may appear to sign the application and submit the other parent’s notarized form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” (the form must have been signed less than three months before the application is submitted), or
    • one parent may appear, sign the application, and submit primary evidence of sole authority.
    • Legal guardian requirements: When neither parent is in the country, the legal guardian having responsibility over the minor child MUST present a notarized power of attorney signed by both parents (or one parent having sole authority) and authorizing him/her to act on their behalf.

Minors aged 16 and 17 may apply in person with their own identification, but for security reasons, parental consent may be required if the consular officer determines it is necessary. If a minor aged 16 or 17 does not have identification of their own, a parent will be required to accompany the child and present identification. More details can be found here.

Important Notice Regarding Entering and Leaving the United States

According to Section 215 of the U.S Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) it is illegal for an American citizen to enter or leave the U.S on anything other than an American document. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding both Nigerien and U.S. citizenship MUST enter and leave the U.S. on a valid U.S. passport; they may NOT enter or leave the U.S. on a Nigerien passport. This applies to children as well as adults.