Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: During the African Union (AU) Summit, host nation security forces will be implementing additional security measures that may affect movement throughout the city. Road closures and traffic disruptions are anticipated from July 3-10. Police checkpoints will be deployed throughout the city.
The U.S. Embassy in Niger reminds U.S. citizens that terrorist groups continue plotting attacks throughout the country. Attacks may occur with little or no warning, targeting foreign and local government facilities, and areas frequented by large crowds.
Areas with restricted access for the AU Summit will include, but are not limited to:
- Radisson Blu
- Palais des Congres
- Gaweye Hotel
- Sections of the Boulevard de la Republique
Actions to Take:
- Anticipate road closures and traffic disruptions from July 3-10.
- Follow instructions at police checkpoints.
- Ensure you have an additional supply of food and water on hand.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by westerners, and be particularly vigilant around places of worship and locations with large crowds.
- Monitor local media for updates.