Location: Diffa Region
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Niamey has suspended U.S. government personnel travel to the Diffa Region due to the declining security situation, especially in the vicinity of the Lake Chad Basin area. U.S. citizens in Niger are encouraged to follow the same guidance.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have redundant forms of communication.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Niger visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Subscribe or unsubscribe for security alerts here.