Event: The security situation throughout Niger remains fluid in the post-election period with the possibility of unrest and/or intercommunal clashes around the country. There may be a corresponding increase in police presence and traffic delays on major roads. Please exercise caution and plan alternate routes.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise caution as demonstrations can become violent. If you see a crowd forming, do not attempt to drive through it. Leave the area and use an alternate route.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas with demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.