Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Niamey has been informed of a potential attack being planned for Niamey or surrounding populous areas, and to possibly include the usage of a stolen ambulance. There is no additional information as to timing or targets at this time.
Effective immediately, the Embassy encourages U.S. citizens in Niger to avoid any locally known populated areas and Westerner frequented areas in Niamey for the weekend.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have redundant forms of communication.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- +227 20 72 26 61
- +227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.