September 26, 2021
Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: The U.S. Embassy Niamey recommends U.S. citizens avoid crossing the new Chinese bridge on foot and exercise a deliberate vigilance when traveling elsewhere on foot. Please report any unusual observations to embassy security personnel immediately.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the new Chinese bridge on foot.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Avoid crowds.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Niger visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Visit our Embassy’s webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.