Location: Niamey, Niger – Pilule riverfront area (aka “The Beach”)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Niamey has prohibited U.S. government personnel from all recreational activities in the vicinity of the Pilule riverfront area (aka “The Beach”) in Niamey without armed escort due to the security situation in the area. Dining at Le Sloughi Restaurant, located nearby, also carries this requirement. U.S. citizens in Niger are encouraged to avoid the area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the mentioned recreational areas.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have redundant forms of communication.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Niger visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.