Location: Niamey, Niger
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Niamey reminds U.S. citizens that extremist groups seek to target locations in Niamey frequented by Westerners.
U.S. citizens are advised to be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution when visiting venues such as banks, supermarkets, restaurants, and hotels.
Varying your travel routes and times, so as to not be pattern-predictable. Public venues should not be visited on a “clockwork” basis, but rather should be transited via a selection of travel routes and times that do not allow for the prediction of your presence at a particular venue or route of travel.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and provide additional information, as appropriate.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have redundant forms of communication.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Niger visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Niger Country Information
- Visit our Embassy’s webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.