U.S. Embassy Niamey informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place from La Place Toumo to La Place de La Concertation on January 10 from approximately 10:00am to noon. The opposition coalition FPR will be demonstrating with the stated purpose of protesting against arbitrary arrests, the recently foiled attempted coup plot, and the policing and justice system used by the government of Niger.
Please remember, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Niger.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Niamey, Rue des Ambassades, Niamey, Niger, at +227-20-72-26-6, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +227-99-49-90-66.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.