An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth Abroad
U.S. Citizens Services

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.

Eligibility for a CRBA

General Information

Please visit the U.S. Department of State site for current and complete information regarding the documentation of children born abroad.

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents are entitled to be documented as U.S. citizens if the citizen parent meets certain transmission requirements laid out in the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The following information will assist you in determining whether or not you are able to transmit citizenship to your child, and will assist you in completing the necessary steps to register your child’s birth and obtain a U.S. passport.

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship and is still under the age of eighteen, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” before a consular officer. Both parents must accompany the child to the Consular Section of the US Embassy. You may also apply for your child’s first passport and social security card when you report your child’s birth.

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued to parents following positive adjudication of their child’s claim to United States citizenship. The child’s claim must be adjudicated before a U.S. passport can be issued.

Processing of citizenship claims is done by online appointment only.  Please click here to schedule an online appointment.

Required Documents

  • Complete form DS-2029 Application for report of birth Abroad (PDF 104KB)
  • Complete form DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage & Physical Presence (PDF 112KB )
  • Child’s Original birth certificate
  • Parents’ Marriage Certificate if applicable
  • Evidence of termination of prior marriage(s) if either or both parents were previously married (divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) of former spouse(s))
  • U.S. passport(s) of parent(s) if applicable
  • Naturalization Certificate(s) of parent(s) (Original) if applicable
  • Proof of five (5) years of physical presence in the US if the child has one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent (in or out of wedlock)
  • Proof of one (1) year of physical presence in the U.S. if child was born to a U.S. citizen mother out of wedlock
  • Physical presence of the child
  • Presence of both parents for signature before the Consular Officer
  • Maternity book
  • Passport pages showing Entry and Exit stamps in and out of Cote d’Ivoire

** Forms have to be filled by the U.S. citizen parent.

All documents presented must be originals or certified copies from the local city hall.

Please note: The Consular Report of Birth must be executed in person.

Fees:  Consular Report of Birth Abroad:  $100.00 (current Consular exchange rate is $1 = 622CFA)

Additional Documentation for Children

Passport Issuance:  Once the Report of Birth is completed, the child may be issued a U.S. passport. To apply for a passport for your child, please click here.

Social Security Card:  Processing for the social security card application can be done following your interview for birth registration.  Applicants must present:

Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.