An official website of the United States government

Victims of Crime
U.S. Citizens Services

The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad. We help in two ways:

  • Overseas: Consular officers, agents, and staff work with crime victims and help them with the local police and medical systems.
  • In the United States: Our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible

If you are the victim of a crime overseas:

  • Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help. Request a copy of the police report.
  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
    • Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
    • During business hours call the Embassy in Niamey at +227 20-72-26-61 and ask to speak to the Consular Section.
    • After hours call the Embassy in Niamey at +227 99-49-90-66;
    • Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates in other countries can be found here or by going to our individual Country Specific Information
    • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).

Consular Assistance to U.S. Crime Victims:

When a U.S. citizen is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional or financial injuries. It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs. Consular officers, consular agents, and local employees at overseas posts know local government agencies and resources in the country where they work.

We can help:

  • Replace a stolen passport;
  • Contact family, friends, or employers;
  • Obtain appropriate medical care;
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime;
  • Explain the local criminal justice process;
  • Obtain information about your case;
  • Connect you to local and U.S.-based resources to assist victims of crime;
  • Obtain information about any local and U.S. victim compensation programs available;
  • Provide a list of local lawyers.

We cannot:

  • Investigate crimes;
  • Provide legal advice or represent you in court;
  • Serve as official interpreters or translators;
  • Pay legal, medical, or other fees for you.

Resources and Information for Crime Victims upon Return to the United States:

Some U.S. cities and communities offer programs to help residents who are victims of overseas crime, including:

  • Rape crisis counseling programs;
  • Shelter and counseling programs for battered women;
  • Support groups and bereavement counseling for family members and friends of murder victims;
  • Diagnostic and treatment programs for child abuse victims;
  • Assistance for victims of drunk driving crashes.

All U.S. states provide victim compensation programs, however only some states offer benefits to residents who are victims of violent crime overseas. Most compensation programs require the victim to file a report at the time of the incident, and to provide a copy with the application. Programs include financial assistance to pay for:

  • Medical costs, including counseling;
  • Funeral or burial expenses;
  • Lost income or loss of support;
  • Expenses related to the repatriation of remains.

Information about each state’s compensation program and how to apply for benefits is available from the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards.

Contact Information for Victim Assistance Programs:

NOTE: The agencies and organizations listed on this international directory have not been vetted by the U.S. Department of State or other federal agency.

DISCLAIMER: The U.S. Department of State assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the organizations whose names appear below. This referral does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of the U.S. Department of State.

Sexual Assault:

Domestic Violence:

Families and Friends of Murder Victims:

Victims and Families of Drunk Driving Crashes:

General Victim Assistance:

Overseas Resources: