Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Niger (March 24, 2020)
Location: Niger (countrywide)
Event: The Nigerien Ministry of Public Health has confirmed three cases of COVID-19 in Niger.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart Niger after the closure of the international airports in Niamey and Zinder.
The Department of State is currently not organizing an evacuation of American citizens from Niger. However, in the event that opportunity becomes available, we are asking you to let us know now if you are interested in being contacted.
Please send an email to NiameyACS@state.gov with the subject line “Return Travel to the U.S.” Please include the following information for each U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident guardian accompanying minor children in your family or group:
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Citizenship (only for Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Date of passport issuance and expiration
- Email address and contact phone number
- Current location
- Desired onward destination in the U.S.
We will contact you if a repatriation flight is being arranged and provide you with logistical information, including its cost per seat. It is important to note that these seats are traditionally offered at-charge on a first-come, first-serve basis to U.S. citizens and, space permitting, for qualifying non-citizen dependents. Private American citizens seeking to depart are required to sign a promissory note and will be billed at a later date for the cost of the flight.
Interested parties should verify that their passports and other documentation are current and valid for at least six months from today’s date. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information at https://ne.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Niamey, Niger
BP 11201, Niamey, Niger
+227 20 72 26 61
+227 99 49 90 66 (after hours)