Ask a COVID-19 Question
Updated: April 10, 2020
COVID-19 Travel Advisory Information in Niger
- Review the most recent Alerts and Messages from U.S. Embassy Niamey here.
- On March 19, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel for COVID-19. American citizens are advised to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
- For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
- The Nigerien Ministry of Public Health has confirmed 410 cases of COVID-19 in Niger, including 11 deaths.
- Niger has declared a state of emergency for the entire country.
- A curfew is in effect from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. in the city of Niamey that started March 28. The city of Niamey is subject to a health confinement for a period of two weeks that started March 29 at midnight. The measures will take place for two weeks and may be renewed by the government of Niger.
- Niger cancelled all schools starting March 20 at midnight for two weeks (renewable).
- All gatherings of at least 50 people, including large religious observances, ceremonies, workshops and seminars, are cancelled for two weeks. This is renewable.
- Restaurants, markets, stores, and public and private services must institute obligatory hygiene measures.
- People must respect a distance of at least one meter between people in open spaces, restaurants, business, airports, and public places.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Niger’s Civil Aviation Authority announced a two-week extension (until April 17) of the international airports’ closure to commercial traffic.
- Land borders have been closed since March 19, except for merchandise.
- We suggest travelers visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information page for Niger here for more information about entry and exit requirements.
- According to an announcement by the Nigerien president’s office, all travelers coming to Niger from countries suffering from the COVID-19 must self-quarantine in their homes or in another adequate location for a period of 14 days.
- The text of President Issoufou’s speech to the nation on March 27 can be found here (French).
- Niger COVID-19 Page
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- State.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page
The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America