All U.S. citizens are eligible to vote, even if they live overseas. The exact requirements for registering to vote and requesting an absentee ballot will depend on the state in which you are eligible to vote. Most States require you to register to vote to start the absentee voting process. We encourage you to use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA is a form you can use to register to vote and request absentee ballots for the year. We suggest that you send in a new FPCA every year and any time you move.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) provides information and assistance for citizens living overseas. At the FVAP website you can find voter registration and absentee ballot information for every state. You can also file the FPCA from this site.

Many States allow you to submit your FPCA electronically and all States allow for at least one form of electronic transmission of your blank ballot.

Some states allow you to return your completed ballot by email or fax. If this is an option for your state, we recommend that you choose to return your ballot electronically. This will allow you to avoid any mail delivery delays.

If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials, you can use international mail, a courier service such as FedEx or DHL, or you may also drop off completed voting materials during regular business hours at the U.S. Embassy in Niamey.

If you are bringing your ballot to the embassy, place your materials in a postage paid return envelope (available under “Downloadable Election Materials” on the FVAP homepage) or in an envelope bearing sufficient domestic U.S. postage, and address it to the relevant local election officials.

If you have any questions, you can contact the Consular Section at, or by calling 20 72 26 62 and asking for the Consular Section.