After The Interview

  1. How to Apply
  2. Case Status
  3. After The Interview

Changing Nonimmigrant Status

If you have a change in employment during your stay in the United States, you may need to change your nonimmigrant status and obtain a different class of visa.

Visit the State Department’s Change of Status  page to learn about:

  • Changing into, within, or between A  or G status if you are in the United States and accept employment with a diplomatic mission, an international organization (including the UN), or a permanent or observer mission to the UN; and
  • Changing out of A status into another nonimmigrant status if you leave your diplomatic assignment, but plan to remain in the United States.


Family Member Employment

Immediate family members of A-1, A-2, G-1, G-3, and G-4 visa holders might be eligible to work in the United States. If your family members wish to work during your stay, an application for employment authorization using Form I-566, Interagency Record of Request – A, G or NATO Dependant Employment Authorization must be submitted to the Department of State, Office of Foreign Missions. The completed form must be submitted through the office, mission, or international organization which employs the principal visa holder. If the Office of Foreign Mission’s recommendation is favorable, Form I-566 will be forwarded to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for action. If the application is approved, USCIS will send the employment authorization to the mission or international organization.