Temporary Employment & Business

Visitors to the U. S. who wish to work during their stay require temporary work visas. There are a number of temporary employment visa categories. The type of work a visitor will be performing determines which category is required. Each of these visa categories requires that the prospective employer first file a petition with U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Visitors with tourism or business visas (B-1, B-2, or B-1/B-2) are not allowed to work during their stay. Student visa holders (F-1 and M-1) are only allowed to work under specific limited conditions, and their family members (F-2 and M-2) are not allowed to work. Exchange visitors (J-1) are only allowed to work under the conditions of their specific exchange program, and their family members (J-2) are only allowed to work with prior authorization from the USCIS.